Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday Thrifty Tablescape


This is my first time posting to Tablescape Thursday http://www.betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ & my second to Thrifty Thursday http://lbratina.blogspot.com/. I have been reading TT for months now and wanting to set my table. But I was at a loss as to how to even start! I am amazed and jealous of all of your beautiful dishes and glasses and silverware! SO I have been paying more attention to tablescape stuff when I am out shopping. It looks more like Fall than Summer but I had to work with the dishes I had and my Dining Room wall color is a terracotta color. I was trying for a gardening/outdoors look. The table is filled with all my thrifty finds! But I am posting a Before picture so you will see that while it is not yet perfect it is certainly better....

Those are my 8 year old's lego creations. He took moving his stuff pretty well. I won't post a picture of his room - covered in legos. And here is the After...
My three year old helped set the table so it is a little off, but how fun that he wanted to help, don't you agree? The small plates are our everyday dishes that we bought for ourselves when we got married (Didnt have the big wedding , so there were no registering for dishes) 13 years ago. The lettuce plates are from TJ Maxx. I bought them a year ago because I thought they were so cute but never used them. The silverware is a gift from my mom. (Thanks mom!) I bought the napkins (World Market) and tablecloth (TJ MAxx, $19.99) to match the wall color.




Here is the Thrifty centerpiece. The wire birdhouse was $1 at a yardsale (I loved it immediately!), the pitcher was in my kitchen (I bought it several years ago at Big Lots for cheap), the scale was off ebay several years ago and $10ish, the fake apples & candles were stuffed in a cabinet, the metal rabbit is from Angels Antiques and left from Easter decorations, the little spray bottle thing was from a yardsale for $2 & the garland of berries was in my closet for some reason. I spent $1 on the birdhouse and the rest of the stuff was stolen from some other part of my house! I love that I could use and display stuff that was in my closets.






Thanks for letting me play along. So, while it isn't perfect, don't you agree it is better than the lego table it once was?


14 comments:

  1. Hi, I definitely like your after picture. Wow that was alot of work but worth the effort. I really like the bird cage, that was a great find! Hope your day is blessed.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The before table looks a little like mine sometimes... I think it is wonderful that you got the kids to help! Happy Tablescape Thursday ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO, I love the fabric of your tablecloth! Very pretty table and what great help you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I can just picture how nice it looks when you come in the front door and look off into the dining room! Can't wait to hear comments from friends who are used to the Lego table! Oh, how I wish I had a dining room that was finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well,you're a gal after my own heart..decorating with thrift store finds and making it look fabulous!
    Great job!
    Blessings!
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, thrift store finds RULE! Love your beautiful tablecloth, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo pretty! I love that tablescape. I love the bird house, especially. Great deal! Hey, your table looks like mine (LEGOS!) Smile.
    Thanks for playing along in Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the plates with the little watering can.

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...I kinda like your before pic! It shows a creative mind at work! But, okay...your tablescape is very nice too! Time for mom to be able to use the dining table! Wonderful that your son helped! I love those lettuce plates! I am so on the hunt for a bird house! Love yours!! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...and P.S....I love your Banner Header!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I always say my table is decorated by my grandson in the Thomas the Tank motif:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your helper did a grat job! And I was impressed with the lego buildings too!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tablescape. How adorable to have such a darling little helper! I so miss hobby lobby! We don't have any in the SF bay area. Wish they would open one up!

    The cupcake party was so precious! The table looked so adorable and festive! They looked like they were having such fun!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete